The First Responder course prepares students to provide pre-hospital assessment and care for patients of all ages with a variety of medical conditions and traumatic injuries. Topics include an introduction to Emergency Medical Services systems, roles and responsibilities of First Responders, anatomy and physiology, medical emergencies, trauma, and special considerations for working in the pre-hospital setting.
By taking this course, you will receive certification as a First Responder and also BLS for Healthcare Provider CPR certification. Our class is offered every semester of the academic year (Fall, Spring, and Summer C), so you can take the class whenever it fits your schedule!
Here are a Few of the Skills You Will Learn:
- Recognizing signs and symptoms of common medical illnesses
- Maintaining airway stability with oral and nasal airway adjuncts
- Stabilizing traumatic injuries with pre-hospital interventions
- Performing primary and secondary patient assessments
- Methods for immobilizing cervical spine and backboarding
- Applying traction splints, tourniquets, and wound dressings
- Taking vital signs and relaying information to other EMS professionals